Friedens United Church of Christ - Marissa

'Through the Spirit

we are a Church on the Move:

Welcoming, Caring, Sharing!'

 
 

About Friedens UCC

 
 

 

Friedens Church was founded in 1891.  At that time 23 fellow German neighbors of Old Marissa, Illinois became the Charter Members of Friedens German Evangelical Lutheran Church.  The first worship service was held in the warehouse of Loesche's Dry Goods Store.  When the warehouse became too small they used the old public school building, which, then, was across the street from the present location of Friedens.  Reverend Yargsdoft, from Darmstadt, IL  conducted the first services and he then organized the church.  At that time an acre of ground was donated by one of the members at the present site on Main Street.  Several members hauled all the rock, for the foundation from the Okaw River.  The corner stone was laid November 8, 1891 and the cost of the church was $2,657.00.  The first wedding held in the new church was between Lizzie Dorothy Rothmeir and John Hacker on May 18, 1893.

 

Friedens Church, as it is seen today, is a brick, two story built in 1952.  The basement area consists of an activity hall equipped kitchen, 2 Sunday school rooms and restrooms.  The main and upper levels include 5 Sunday school rooms and a handicapped accessible restroom, 2 offices in addition to the spacious sanctuary which has a folding door partition that opens for additional meeting room when the need arises.  Central air, carpeting and hot water heat are also include as well as ceiling fans.  In 1994, we added to our church building a lovely new entrance which houses an elevator to both the main level and the basement, a large gathering place for after services, etc., beautiful stained glass windows and soft lighting.

 

There are two main entrances to Friedens, at street level, also a side entrance which is close to the parsonage and can be used as a private entrance by the pastor.  We have two outside entrances to the basement area.  These are easily accessible to our large parking area.  Recently added are three handicapped parking spaces close to the new, rear entrance.

 

For 119 years, Friedens (German for "Peace") has been a life-giving presence in the Marissa community.  Our doors are open and welcoming not only for worship, but also for various community events.  Our hearts are full of caring, not only for our members, but for others in the community.  We share God's love in word and deed through the numerous ministries we engage in and support in this community and the wider church.